Monday, April 12, 2010

A Good Day

When life gives you lemons...go to New Wilmington--Amish country.

Going to visit Amish friends is a guessing game. Are they home?? Is it some special auction day?? They don't have phones so an impromptu trip 50 miles away is a big gamble. Saturday was just such a beautiful day and I have missed my friends. Knowing that my husband was gone until after dark, it seemed a perfect choice. I just prayed the entire way that Providence would provide that at least one of my friends would be home.

I arrived at Sarah's first. Clothes on the line, buggy out...all good signs. Of course the poor girl was horrified that her house was dirty--you know the usual stuff that happens when you have four little boys; dirty dishes and toys. My house has looked like that before (even post-kids). She was relieved it was me and not her mother-in-law. It was a great time to give her a hand cleaning up a bit, for which I counted it a privilege. (Who wouldn't want to say that they could do dishes in a dry sink!!?--OK, just me.) We had a wonderful visit. Next I was off to see if Lizzie was home.

At Lizzie's house I hit the jackpot because her mom was there, too! Church was to be held at David and Lizzie's so the crowd has just left from pie baking, moon pie making and cleaning EVERYTHING!! And I do mean EVERYTHING! (Sarah said that church will be at her house in four weeks and she needs to paint the kitchen!) I was able to pitch in drying dishes.

Lizzie's mom, Katie, is a delightful woman. I don't think I've ever seen her without a smile. And she has had some rough times. We were able to sit for a bit and visit, but it was close to dinner time and the benches had to be set up for the morning service.

So, I was able to see them all! Everyone was home! And...this is what I was fortunate enough to do that day:

Sing (try to sing) hymns along Rt. 422 and 19 -- note to self: take the Trinity next time--you mess up the verses!
Feel the warmth of the sun in the car.
Wash dishes in the dry sink
Sweep the floor
Dry dishes
See that Lizzie's daughter, Martha, has grown so much!
Hear about how Lizzie loves teaching in a one room school!--and even being all-time pitcher for baseball at recess
See that Wallie just plowed the garden
Buy fresh eggs for $1
Get the good news that Sarah is expecting another baby later in the summer--#5
Get "take-out" moon pies
See Sarah & Wallie's newly designed laundry area--it even has a hot water tank and a bathtub!
Drive Katie home
Sit with dear friends

A very good day for which I am very thankful.

A Poem by John Newton:


1 I ask'd the Lord, that I might grow In faith, and love, and ev'ry grace, Might more of his salvation know, And seek more earnestly his face.
2 'Twas he who taught me thus to pray, And he, I trust has answer'd pray'r; But it has been in such a way, As almost drove me to despair.
3 I hop'd that in some favour'd hour, At once he'd answer my request: And by his love's constraining pow'r, Subdue my sins, and give me rest.
4 Instead of this. he made me feel The hidden evils of my heart; And let the angry pow'rs of hell Assault my soul in ev'ry part.
5 Yea more, with his own hand he seem'd Intent to aggravate my woe; Cross'd all the fair designs I schem'd, Blasted my gourds, and laid me low.
6 Lord, why is this, I trembling cry'd, Wilt thou pursue thy worm to death? "'Tis in this way," the Lord reply'd, "I answer pray'r for grace and faith.
7 "These inward trials I employ, "From self and pride to set thee free; "And break thy schemes of earthly joy, "That thou mayst seek thy all in me."

(thanks, Stephen)

No comments: