This was my third election where I was able to actually work at the polls. A poll worker. Not a person handing out literature, combs or nail files, but a real poll worker. My job was to take the voter's name and check to see if there was any request from the county election board for ID and have the voter sign their name, checking their signature, of course.
It was a most interesting day. There was a line outside before the polls even opened at 7 am. and there was a steady stream of folks most of the day. We had a few times where there was a line, but it just seemed to be steady.
There were several things that I observed throughout the day that were very interesting to me. The first being the number of voters. Our precinct have a 60% voter turnout! Second, were the number of folks who had not voted for some time. Those who had not voted since the card system/touch screens had been introduced. We had to rescue folks who correctly signed in on our side of the room, ( there are two precincts in one room--granted, it is confusing) but tried to go to the other side across the "chain fence" , of sorts, that divides the precincts to vote. Many needed instruction on using the machines. There were even three people who were listed as "inactive" who came to vote. I think you have to have not voted for a over ten years (I don't really know, but it is a long time) to be considered "inactive". This signals to me that folks were very interested in this election! Third, there were a number of parents who brought their children to purposely show them the entire procedure. One mom proudly dressed her boys in red and wore a red "Don't Tread On Me" sweatshirt! She told me, "We all wore red today!" All I could do was smile--I have to remain neutral. I wanted to cheer all these parents who were educating their kids on our freedoms.
Working the polls is a long day. One needs to be at the polls by 6 am to get things set up and check for any "bugs". The machines all need to be run to make sure there are all zeros. There are a lot of things going on in the background. Folks who are at the wrong polling place, name changes, cards not working correctly, handicap folks who need assistance and snacks...can't forget the snacks!
By 8 pm everyone is beat and it is time to tear things down. The machines are run to tally the votes and the information is all gathered to take to the courthouse. (Did you know that a copy of the tally of votes from each machine is posted at the polling place before we leave the building?) The machines are folded up and placed in the car along with all the paper work. It takes almost an hour to get everything in order. Then, the judge of elections and I (since I'm the majority inspector) take everything to the courthouse.
So, home by 9:30 p.m. and ready for a shower and off to bed.
Even though I am new to the area (six years is still new around here), I am starting to see folks I've met and they will say "hello"! Both of my physical therapists and my surgeon said "hello" as well as a couple of neighbors. Everyone else at the table has lived in the county all their lives, so it is a great time for them to see old friends. I am happy that my number is expanding just a bit.
No matter who folks were voting for, it was a good day. People exercised their freedom in large numbers.
O Holy Father, thou hast freely given thy Son,
O Divine Son, thou hast freely paid my debt,
O Eternal Spirit, thou doest freely bid me come,
O Triune God, thou dost freely grace me with salvation.
...To enjoy thee is life eternal, and to enjoy is to know.
Keep me in the freedom of experiencing thy salvation continually.
No comments:
Post a Comment