Monday, April 6, 2009

Dirt Work

When the seeds I ordered arrived, I became anxious to plant something, anything. It was just not time yet, to cold for anything. I was hoping to get my peas planted by March 17, but didn't quite make it. But the sunny day that I was able to get out and run our little tiller enough to work up a spot in the garden for the peas was a good day. Three rows of peas are in--one more than last year. Last year, I said that I wouldn't plant peas again. They were everywhere! I tried running a string for them to climb; they broke the string and ended up a tangled mess. It was hard to get into the rows to pick without stepping on the vines. But, eating our own peas during the winter changed my mind. I'll try and deal with them for the taste of our own baby peas.

The smell of the freshly turned soil was a welcomed fragrance on a brisk, but sunny day. I also found a use for some of the CDs that I was given from my time on the pulpit seach committee--they are hanging from a string on a stake between the rows rotating and flashing sunlight to keep the birds away. We'll see how they work.

It won't be long before we are able to enjoy some fresh rhubarb. Our three plants have already shown themselves.

Hubby spent an entire day pruning our ancient apple trees. I'm anxious to see if they come back and bear better fruit. This also opens up the entire orchard area and our little apple tree should get more light, which was greatly needed. We desire to get some cherry trees and at least one more apple tree. My hope is to get a Cortland tree this spring.

We are hosting the family for Easter here, so I really need to clean!

No comments: