Whew!! Nine hours, two bushels and 36 quarts and 1 pint and a half jars later the kitchen is clean, but full of applesauce. A happy sight. This is the most I've tried to tackle myself in one day. I'm tired, but it is a good tired. A good day's work with so much to show for it. My heart is so grateful for the ability and the "stuff" to be able to can for the family. Since I don't work outside the home, this is my job. The place has a great view, the hours are a bit odd, the pay, as in dollars, may not be much, but there is a satisfaction in the soul. Satisfaction in knowing that I am doing what God has best suited me to do.
This may sound weird, but the other day when I was using the neighbor's tiller in the garden, I had this realization. That what I am doing pleases God. In the movie, Chariots of Fire, when Eric Liddell says to his sister, "When I run, I feel His pleasure", that's the kind of moment I had. The pleasure of knowing that the King of Creation is pleased with what I am doing. It may not be some great thing, that men would consider 'great', but it is helping my husband as we take care of the family, keep order in our home and our corner of the community, doing our best to be good stewards of what has given us--being thankful and sharing His goodness.
One of the reasons I like applesauce making so much is that nothing is wasted. The skins and seeds and any other remains are put in the compost. The glorious fragrance fills the house, at least for the day, and quarts of beautiful rose-colored applesauce add a new color to my canning shelves.
Thanks to Becky at Becky's Farm I was able to can some chicken broth yesterday! She knows so much and I am very grateful.
With a thankful heart~
1 comment:
Thank you so much for your prayers. And for all your comments, they are a blessing to me. And I'll be trying the apples crisp hopefuly today. Thank you for the recipes.
Becky
Post a Comment