It occurred to me that I never reported on my Women's Handgun Safety course I took this summer.
The Sheriff's Department in my county puts in on with help from the NRA. They only accept 50 women each year. The room was full, to say the least! What a wide variety of women, too. One delightful lady sat with me and shared that she already carries a .22 with a laser. She works in Pittsburgh. Several women were hunters, but knew little or nothing about handguns. Most of the women were there to learn about gun safety and were interested in their personal protection.
There was significant time spent on safety issues and handling long before we were ever taken to the range.
We were given a nice lunch (the cookies were wonderful) and then taken in small groups to the range. The deputies were there to help us and make sure we were all being safe. I was given a Lady Smith & Wesson .38. My only complaint is that I only got to fire five rounds. Hardly enough to even get acquainted with the gun. I was able to hit the target, which is saying something--I was shaking to badly!! Some of it was from nerves, I'm sure, but some from MS, too.
All in all, it was a very fun morning and I learned a great deal.
Since then, a more experienced friend has taken me out with a .22 semi automatic (ohhh yeahhh). It was nice to be more relaxed and have lots of time. I hit the center several times!! Several weeks after the two of us went out, we took our kids (young adults...who am I kidding). Oh my! My son gets his target skills from his father! It was as if he was born with a gun in his hand! Her daughter did amazing, too! It was fun to be out with my son, even though he made me look pretty pathetic.
I need lots more practice, but perhaps that will come. It is a great sport and I would recommend it to anyone! My husband is even considering selling his service gun (very heavy, and the ammo is super expensive) and getting a .22....I want a laser, if he does!
No comments:
Post a Comment