Yesterday my dear sister, Ann, and I had our annual Christmas lunch. She takes a day off work and we get away for the day and talk and laugh...alot. We enjoyed lunch at Panera, Target shopping for the "little boys" in the family and a few more errands and then finished with a Pepsie at Arbi's. Nothing fancy, just relaxed and fun. It's just us. We can be ourselves and discuss whatever. It is something I look forward to each year. Our Christmas gift to each other.
Since our mom's remarriage several years ago, she and I have been a life line for each other. And now that our mom's second husband has died, we depend on each other for some sense of sanity, which with me can be a stretch. Mom can be quite a handful for such a little thing. She has a hefty dose of stubborn Irish temperament.
And for those of you who think that your kids will never get along; I tied Ann to the clothes pole when she was young because she was always getting me in trouble. See, there is hope.
O God, I cannot endure to see the destruction of my kindred. Let those that united to me in tender ties be precious in they sight and devoted to thy glory....Grant that the promising appearances of a tender conscience, soft heart, the alarms and delights of thy Word, be not finally blotted out, but bring forth judgment unto victory in all whom I love.
An excerpt from The Family in The Valley of Vision
2 comments:
My daughter lives about 30 miles from me in town and Panera (broc. cheese soup) is our usual lunch stop when we go to Target. And we will be going Christmas shopping this week!.
I was reading your past posts and you mentioned in one that you canned chicken. Was it whole chicken? Did you cook it and take meat off of the bones etc. Just curious. It sounds like a good idea to have some preserved and not to rely completely on the freezer. Thanks
Have a wonderful time with your daughter!! Here's a Panera recommendation--the Gingerbread bagels...I brought a couple home and--oh my--what a treat! Lightly toasted and covered in butter...it doesn't get much better :-)
Thanks for the chicken question. I was so pleased that canning chicken turned out to be so easy.
I packed my raw, right off the bone, and actually I found breasts on sale so that is what prompted my canning. Of course, you'll need a pressure canner.
I cut mine into chunks so I can easily use it in casseroles.
Pack into jars loosely.
If desired add 1/2 teaspoon salt to pints, and 1 teaspoon to quarts.
Pour in hot broth or water over the meat: leaving 1″ head space.
Remove air bubbles, put lids on.
Pressure can at 10 pounds pressure:
Pints: 1 hour and 15 minutes
Quarts: 1 hour and 30 minutes
Chicken can also be done cooked, or hot pack. The broth can then be used to pour over the chicken.
The canning times for Hot Pack are:
Pints: 75 mins.
Quarts: 90 mins.
It sure makes it handy when you don't have time to thaw meat and it saves on the freezer space.
Happy Christmas shopping! I hope you and your daughter find lots of good bargains and have an enjoyable time together.
Post a Comment