Thursday, December 11, 2008

The Joys of Fresh Bread

Something about today led me to make bread and rolls from scratch. Is it the dreary, dampness to the day or is it that winter turns me into a baking machine? Wait till Christmas cookies start!

There is something wonderful about making bread. It warms the heart and the kitchen.

There is the whole idea of creating something wholesome for the family. From the beginning, you can choose your own ingredients. Eggs, which type of flour, oil or shortening, a bit of applesauce, leftover mashed potatoes, oatmeal, there are so many possibilities to create a delightful loaf of bread or basket of rolls.

Kneading is so satisfying. When your lump of sticky, dough becomes a soft smooth ball, there is a sense of achievement and a connection with the past. This is something that my grandmothers did. And can there be a more wonderful fragrance to fill the home? Fresh baked bread is such a comfort food.

I must confess that my rolls don't look like the ones in the store, neither does my bread. They are not 'perfect' very often. It is just something I really like to do.

So, while sewing needs completed and the sweeper needs run, I am enjoying making bread and rolls.

Someday, when I grow up, I would love to make bread to sell. Until then, I will enjoy the practice.

2 comments:

In the Pasture said...

I, too, enjoy baking bread. As a matter of fact, I made rolls yesterday to go with our homemade beef and vegtable soup.

You are right, there is nothing better than the smell of homemade bread baking.

lsjohnson said...

In the Pasture--
Thanks for stopping by!

Fresh rolls AND homemade soup??? Does life get any better?