Thursday, January 1, 2009

Spring and Summer Arrive at the End of December...Along With the 1040 Form

The last day of December brought color to the mailbox, even if it also brought the tax forms. My first seed catalog of the season: Johnny's Selected Seeds. They say they have varieties for Northern gardeners, but most of their seeds, I believe, are pretty adaptable. The descriptions are very helpful. I have ordered from Johnny's for several years. I like their variety. The catalog is very helpful, too, with gardening and planting tips for each flower or vegetable. Last year I tried edemame for the first time...it was wonderful. I called Johnny's with some questions and they were very helpful (and they didn't think I was dumb...at least they didn't act like it).

I have been looking forward to this since I tilled the garden for the winter. My garden needs to be better organized. While I think that I remember where everything was last spring, I am not always sure. It would also be helpful if I get things written down...what I ordered, how much, and from where. I bought a recipe box to keep things in there as a file, but it is just sitting. So, I am determined to be a better organized gardener.

The hope is that we can make the garden a bit bigger again this year. I have not grown sweet corn since we moved here, so I would like to have a plot just for the corn. Carrots are also a possibility to add to the garden. My husband and I have also considered sweet potatoes. He and I just love them and since I can now can them, it takes the worry out of storage. I just need more room! When the kids were home they found it amusing that the garden is about the same size or bigger than when all three of them were home!

I need to spend some time on line checking out sites that may be helpful in garden planning. I'll get back to ya on that one.

On another topic...our potential pastor arrives today to candidate. There is a dessert reception tonight, a big tureen (covered-dish) dinner tomorrow and then he preaches on Sunday. The excitement within the church is wonderful! Our church family is so anxious to see what God has planned for us in the future. Our whole committee is excited and thrilled! God willing, the last step on Sunday will seal the deal. As I said in the past, I have had a front row seat to see God work in an amazing way, and I am indeed grateful.

No comments: