Friday, January 9, 2009

A Christmas Postscript

Remember my Christmas wish list? Well, no, I didn't get a gun or a rototiller. I did get a new blender and a bigger food processor. These items will be a big help at canning time. Hubby and I also have come to love hummus and our tiny food processor just was having a difficult time of it.

It has been said that one should never buy a woman a gift with a plug on the end. Well, I used to think that was a good guide, but not any more. My kitchen is my "workshop" and what I use in it are my "tools". If a better tool will help me in my work by making the homemade soup or tomato sauce process go smoother, then I'll take the "tool". I don't need fancy earrings or jewelry.

So, perhaps the rototiller will come another time? Spring, perhaps. We want to keep looking. I also need to do more research on what type of gun I should have. Some have said that I need to handle one to find which suits best. My knowledge of guns is limited to the work-related one my husband carries. My dad didn't own a gun so I have much to learn. Hubby is not so sure I need one anyway. I think I make him nervous.

It would have been hard to wrap a rototiller anyway (smile).

2 comments:

Jennlala said...

Ha,ha, I too had a gun on my wishlist. It was a Red Ryder BB gun! I have never had a gun and I thought that would be a cheap way to start out. Since we are out in the woods now we will have to really consider some sort of firearm. But I did get a Foodsaver! One of those vaccumm food sealers. Another way to preserve food from the garden.

And, we are finally going to get some chickens this spring!!! My husband grew up on a farm so he has quite a bit of knowledge about these things and I have been reading for the last year about chickens.

It is about time to decide what seeds to start inside to get ready for spring planting too.

I just thought it Humorous and interesting that we are on the same train of thought!

Are you going to have some sort of chicken tractor to move your chicks around in to cultivate the soil and fertilize and eat bugs?? Along with a coop?

Good Luck with all!!

lsjohnson said...

Jennlala,
My sister has a Foodsaver and loves it!

Congrats on the chickens! My husband is not on board yet. Maybe someday. Keep me posted on how you are doing with them. I would love to hear how you folks do. I gave a great deal to learn.

Enjoy seed shopping, too. I need to get my list started. I've just been enjoying the "looking" process.

Hey..be careful with that BB gun--you'll shoot your eye out!! :-)