My favorite seed catalog arrived not long ago to brighten my winter days. Johnny's Selected Seeds has wonderfully bright and colorful photos in their catalog. Their website is so very helpful and when I have called them, they are able to skillfully answer my questions. There are, I am sure, a great many seed companies that are reputable as well. Johnny's serves those of us in the northern climates so well with seeds that are bred for the north. Johnny's has been my seed supplier for some years and I have always found their seeds to grow very well. Of course, I still go to Bowser's Feed Store down the road to get peas, seed potatoes, corn and onions. They also allow me to buy just a few zucchini seeds. If I planted an entire package, my neighbors would lock their doors when they saw me coming with 'gifts'. A local greenhouse is where I get my plants such as broccoli, tomatoes and the like. I just don't have a good window for starting my own seedlings.
While it may be some time before I see the bare ground again, I enjoy thinking through what fun veggies I can try growing for the first time. It is also time to think about where to plant each type of vegetable--crop rotation--as well as what did we like and what did we plant too much of...or too few of.
Lord willing, I will not be laid up with another broken ankle this summer.
May I recommend reading a recent post by The Midland Agrarian on his review of the movie, Food, Inc., as well as his some of his thoughts on growing one's own food. I'm anxious for Part Two.
No comments:
Post a Comment