Friday, February 19, 2010

Sunny Winter Days

Here in Western Pennsylvania, we value sunshine quite highly. During the month of February, the sun has rarely been seen. (And it is not just winter when the sun is often hard to come by around here.) The snowfall has reached record-breaking levels and that brings with it the seemingly endless gray days. This is when I wish I had a digital camera to show the snow piles! It may be June before my tulips bloom because the snow is piled so high! However, the past two days have been a boost to the mind and spirit. The temperatures actually got above freezing, too! Seeing that the sky is still blue and that the sun is still up there has brought smiles to everyone around. What a blessing it has been. I think God knew we had had enough.

It won't be long until Spring. The days are already getting longer. I'm getting anxious to get my hands in some dirt!

ALMIGHTY GOD,
I am loved with everlasting love,
clothed in eternal righteousness,
my peace flowing like a river,
my comforts many and large,
my joy and triumph unutterable,
my soul lively with a knowledge of salvation,
my sense of justification unclouded.
I have scarce anything to pray for;
Jesus smiles upon my soul as a ray of heaven
and my supplications are swallowed up in praise.

--an excerpt from Assurance from the book Valley of Vision, A collection of Puritan Prayers & Devotions

No comments: