Thursday, October 14, 2010

One Man's Look at the Sabbath Keeping Issue

This excerpt from an upcoming book, Is the Sabbath Still Required for Christians?, was posted on Justin Taylor's blog.  This is one man's answer to my Sabbath keeping question.

I think the comments are interesting to read as well.

Yes, I do believe the Lord's Day is what we observe and the ceremonial and dietary laws do not apply.   We are not saved by keeping the Law, but, I believe, we show our obedience through our attempts at keeping it.

This is what the Westminster Confession says on, Of the Law of God.

Here is what the Westminster Larger Catechism says, beginning with Question/Answer #99.

We are not saved by the keeping of the Sabbath, or the Lord's Day.  I do believe biblically, that Christ summarizes the moral law when he said we are to love the Lord with all our heart, soul, mind and strength, and our neighbor as ourselves.   G. I. Williamson, in his commentary on the Confession, says that we may rightly infer the divisions of the law of God in this statement. 

I admit, that I am not a theologian and do not know enough of my Westminster Confession.  That said, I'm not sure that I agree with the article on Mr. Taylor's blog.

The Gospel frees us from the killing judgment of the Law.  It liberates us from the curse of Law; but it never denigrates the Law of God.  The Gospel saves us not from duty, but unto duty by which the Law of God is established.  --R. C. Sproul in the forward to Reasons for Duty, by John H. Gerstner

No comments: