When I cook, I make a mess (generally). This also occurs when I can only on a grander scale. This is because canning includes the use of very large pots and the aforementioned Strainer. The walls of the kitchen have been splattered with apple and tomato debris most every canning season.
During the making of the soup, I decided I was done. I don't care if the tomatoes decide to ripen, I'm done with the day-long process and clean-up. I had hoped that what I had made would suffice. It would seem to my husband that it was not enough for the winter.
Well, guess what I did today. Those are seven pint and a half jars, plus a pint of tomato soup peaking out from under their covering. The pint and a half jars are from Classico spaghetti sauce. They are mason jars and work great for just the two of us. We've been collecting them for a couple of years with the help of some other folks.
Sometime ya just do what ya should do. I'll be glad this winter that I took the time.
Just a side note...one of my Amish friends wrote me a letter last week saying she canned 64 quarts of peaches! and she wasn't done yet! And she has five boys under the age of seven. I've never canned 64 quarts of one thing. She is amazing!!
I am guilty, but pardoned,
lost, but saved,
wandering, but found,
sinning, but cleansed.
Give me perpetual broken-heartedness,
Keep me always clinging to thy cross,
Flood me very moment with descending grace,
Open to me the springs of divine knowledge,
sparkling like crystal,
flowing clear and unsullied
through my wilderness of life.
--an excerpt from The Broken Heart, from The Valley of Vision
No comments:
Post a Comment