I'm becoming increasingly aware that I could become a compulsive book buyer. Here are my latest purchases.
The top book is one that I've been working on for the past few months. With the garden and grass, I've been neglecting the poor thing. It is a great read. Those Puritans had some great, spot-on insights.
The delightful bookmark was purchased at the Somerset Historical Society's Mountain Craft Days that we attended in September. It is tatted with little beads. We watched the woman make them for quite awhile. It is an art I might consider trying. Tatting is such simple, beautiful needlework.
Last fall, I was in a study that looked at John Newton's letters. This man was amazing. He, too, had great insights into the heart of men and could explain his deep thoughts in such a witty way.
Evangelism and the Sovereignty of God by J.I. Packer was recommended as a "must-have" for the home library. No doubt, most of Packer's books would fall into that category.
I enjoy Michael Horton on the White Horse Inn. His writing style makes the complex easier to understand. this is my second book purchase by Horton. The first was an inspiring, thought provoking read.
We'll have to see about Disability and the Gospel. I read a few pages and I'm not sure it is what I had in mind. A few pages, though, can't tell the whole story. It may be awhile before I get back to it, though.
When new books arrive, it is like Christmas. I love the smooth cover and the newness of the pages. It is a bit hard for me to crack open a new book and crease the first page. Since these are paperbacks, the newness fades quickly. While the book is digested, pages read and reread, bookmarks inserted, margins written in, the contents become a friend. One with which I can argue, agree, smile or cry. One that comforts, challenges, enlightens, frustrates. If I could only figure out how to read and quilt. To be able to do two of my favorite things at once, would certainly make my winter recreations an even greater delight.
GLORIOUS JEHOVAH, MY COVENANT GOD,
All thy promises in Christ Jesus are yea and amen,
and all shall be fulfilled.
Thou hast spoken them, and they shall be done,
commanded, and they shall come to pass.
Yet I have often doubted them,
have lived at times as if there were no God.
Lord, forgive me that death in life,
when I have found something apart from thee,
when I have been content with ephemeral things.
But through thy grace I have repented;
Thou has given me to read my pardon in the wounds of Jesus,
and my soul doth trust in him, my God incarnate,
the ground of my life, the spring of my hope.
Teach me to be resigned to thy will,
to delight in thy law,
to have no will but thine,
to believe that everything thou doest is for my good.
Help me to leave my concerns in thy hands,
for thou hast power over evil,
and bringest from it an infinite progression of good,
until thy purposes are fulfilled.
Bless me with Abraham's faith
that staggers not at promises through unbelief.
May I not instruct thee in my troubles,
but glorify thee in my trials;
Grant me a distinct advance in the divine life;
May I reach a higher platform,
leave the mists of doubt and fear in the valley,
and climb to hill-tops of eternal security in Christ
by simply believing he cannot lie,
or turn from his purpose.
Give me the confidence I ought to have in him
who is worthy to be praised, and who is blessed for
evermore.
--Divine Promises from The Valley of Vision
If you wish to purchase The Valley of Vision, you may try here at Amazon. Or, here at Banner of Truth
No comments:
Post a Comment