Knowing that we are to get into the 40's over the weekend, I figured I better see what I could gather from the garden that the cold is likely to kill.
Here's what I managed to salvage. A few tomatoes, some peppers, a bit of lettuce and the parsley. The parsley may very well manage to last awhile in the garden, but I need it for dinner this evening.
There are a few other veggie plants in the garden that have been thriving in the cooler weather that has been with us since September. This is our first year for kale and other greens.
It was an interesting garden year. Some things did well and other, well, no so much. The sweet potato crop was another disaster. Our onions seemed to rot quickly after they were dug. The beans did well, as usual, the corn was good, except for what the bugger of a coon ate. The garlic was smaller, but the crop was plentiful. As always, these are things that are not in my control and it yet it proves, again, that God is faithful to provide what we need.
P.S. It seems I was delayed in getting this posted. I was having company for dinner and did not get my Puritan Prayer added until now. Suffice it to say, the chilly weather arrived today, although it turned out to be a lovely, sunny day.
I continue to slowly work my way through Jeremiah Burroughs's The Rare Jewel of Christian Contentment. Here is a portion of Contentment from The Valley of Vision.
HEAVENLY FATHER,
If I should suffer need, and go unclothed, and be in poverty,
make my heart prize thy love, know it, be constrained by it,
though I be denied all blessings.
It is thy mercy to afflict and try me with wants,
for by these trials I see my sins,
and desire severance from them.
Let me willingly accept misery, sorrows, temptations,
if I can thereby feel sin as the greatest evil,
and be delivered from it with gratitude to thee,
acknowledging this as the highest testimony of thy love....
Teach me to believe that if ever I would have any sin subdued
I must not only labour to overcome it,
but must invite Christ to abide in the place of it,
and he must become to me more than vile lust had been;
that his sweetness, power, life may be there....
When I am afraid of evils to come, comfort me by showing me
that in myself I am a dying, condemned wretch,
but in Christ I am reconciled and live;
that in myself I find insufficiency and no rest,
but in Christ there is satisfaction and peace;
that in myself I am feeble and unable to do good,
but in Christ I have ability to do all things.
No comments:
Post a Comment