Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Fall and the Love of Apples

The western Pennsylvania area had been pretty dry until lately.  We have received a good amount of rain and I can't seem to remember when I last saw the sun.  The days have been damp and dreary.  It got cold enough in the house so that we finally had to turn the furnace on Monday.  The dear weather man says that the sun is coming and that the weekend looks to be beautiful!  I'm looking forward to hanging out with Hazel, my John Deere tractor, and soak up some Vitamin D while I cut the grass.  It certainly has liked this rain and cool weather!

The one thing I love most about fall is the apples!  One batch of applesauce is canned.  I don't know if I'll do more since we have so much left over, but applesauce is my favorite thing to can.  The house smells amazing!  We bought our first cider of the season today.  Some of that will need to be warmed up tonight and served with some apple crisp.  Some of life's simple and delightful pleasures!

Not long ago, my daughter-in-law and I were discussing the upcoming winter and she mentioned how she really noticed that she was dreading the coming cold and snow.  I can agree.  The last couple of years, I have felt the dread of winter.  The neighborhood around us seems to vanish and everyone huddles in their home until you see them magically appear in the spring when the grass needs cut.  Sundays become more special in the winter...not only worship, but people!! 

Maybe this winter won't be so bad. 

Nothing in this world happens by chance.  Our great God has "measured the waters in the hollow of His hand, measured heaven with a span and calculated the dust of the earth in a measure" (Is. 40:12)....this same God cares for you with such special care that He has numbered the very hairs of your head....You may rest assured that even those experiences that are causing much sorrow are in accord with His eternal counsel and decree.
--C.H. Spurgeon

No comments: