Saturday was my birthday. My dear husband said he would take me anywhere I wanted to go or do whatever (within reason) including shampooing the carpets. (To be honest, I did consider that one, but the dirty carpet can wait a bit longer.) While I thought about my options, I went to the Farmer's Market. It was a beautiful day and if I have a chance to get away, I'll go to my "happy place".
After unloading the apples I purchased at the market--it is applesauce time!!--I told my husband I wanted to go to New Wilmington and visit Lizzie and Sarah.
We had Chinese for lunch and then headed up to New Wilmington. Route 19 is a delightful, beautiful drive. There is not much traffic, thanks to I-79, and the farm land stretches out for miles with amazing views of hills and valleys. As we drove through Volant, it was easy to see that Christmas time is approaching...the little town was busy.
Of course, a trip to Lizzie or Sarah's unannounced contains a certain amount of risk. Being that it was a Saturday, I was hoping that Lizzie would be busy at home since she teaches at a one room school during the week. Sarah has a brand new baby boy so I figured she would be pretty close to home. The Outlets were our Plan B.
We traveled back the long lane to Lizzie's first to find the clothesline full and the whole family at home. They were hosting church at their house the next day, so she had already baked about a dozen pies or so along with two trays of moon pies. Lizzie and I had a great discussion while she braided her daughter's hair. It seems that we "english" are not always so different from the Amish. We laughed as we compared the two lifestyles in regard to the healthy feeding of children (Amish kids get fed junk just like our kids), nursing babies (they don't all nurse their babies either) and children with learning problems. It was a treat to help fold clothes (who thinks this is fun when it is your own stuff??!!) as she took them off her long clothesline. (I had to have a lesson in folding her husband's pants.) She offered us some home made bread and jam. The men joined the conversation and there was more laughter. Time to head off to Sarah's.
Knowing that it was nearing dinner time and that Sarah now has five young boys, we did not want to stay long. Sarah was having none of it! The boys had been playing at the neighbors, who own a boy magnet--a dirt pile. They were, as any boy worth his salt would be, filthy...and happy. Sarah allowed me to rock little Henry who has been a bit fussy. I wish I could say I put him to sleep, but at least he didn't cry. We had a tour of Sarah's new wash room/laundry room/summer kitchen area. She is thrilled to have a bathtub now and a place to store hot water. This new room is so handy for her. No more running up and down stairs. Sarah told me she had not accomplished much on Saturday--only several loaves of bread, a big batch of cookies and a huge pan of cinnamon rolls...with a NEW BABY!! Oh, and the laundry. It wears me out to think about it. She was happy to share a cinnamon roll with us. Oh, yeah, it was wonderful!
On the road home, we happened on a buggy that had broken the axle. Keith and some of the other "english" helped to get the man's buggy in a pickup truck. So, even those things break down.
It was a wonderful day and I am so thankful for these dear friends with whom I could spend a lovely Saturday. And grateful for a husband who thinks it is an enjoyable afternoon as well.
...Yet thou hast of they pleasure created life, and communicated
happiness;
Thou has made me what I am, and given me what I have;
In thee I live and move and have my being;...
an excerpt from God The Source Of All Good, from the Valley of Vision
No comments:
Post a Comment