Yeah!! It's applesauce time!! This is my favorite time of year! Even though I am a bit behind on the applesauce, it is always very rewarding.
There are two bushels of apples in the kitchen and the house smells wonderful. Of course, it will only get better when they get cookin'.
Today was my annual applesauce day with my best friend, Laura. We get together at her home ( she has a great kitchen !) and spend the day visiting and doing apples. Her beautiful children are homeschooled, so they are ready and willing to help when it is time to squeeze the cooked apples. It has been a delight for me to watch them grow and to see that it's still a fun day for them, too.
Laura got an early start on getting things set up and she even had some cut when I arrived. My sister asked if I would can a dozen jars for her family, so we were able to do that, too. We had 28 jars done by 2 pm, with only one disaster--a jar broke in the canner. What a mess. I'm not sure what happened, but we had to clean that up and start heating water all over again. We had just enough left in the big pot to send a jar home with her folks, who stopped by, and a jar for each of us for supper.
We were able to clean up and admire a dining room table covered with beautiful applesauce. We celebrated with sitting down to a well-earned cup of tea. Applesauce can wear you out! God is good to us!
There is nothing better than spending the day canning with friends.
"O Lord God, who inhabitest eternity,
The heavens declare thy glory, the earth thy riches, the universe is thy temple;
thy presence fills immensity, Yet thou has of thy pleasure created life, and communicated happiness;
Thou has made me what I am, and given me what I have; in thee I live and move and have my being; Thy providence has set the bounds of my habitation, and wisely administers all my affairs....Subdue in me the love of sin, Let me know the need of renovation as well as of forgiveness, in order to serve and enjoy thee for ever." from the Valley of Vision, selections from "God the Source of All Good"
Blessings~
No comments:
Post a Comment