It is a windy, chilly day here and days like these have my heart...and tummy looking for comfort food.
While many of us are trying to cut costs and look for ways to save in this stressful time, I thought I would post some recipes that you might find helpful as well as economical.
The first is a friend's recipe that I've modified a bit. As you can see you can pick and choose ingredients to suit your budget and tastes.
Great Granola
2 C. oats
1/2 C. wheat germ (optional)
3/4 C. raisins
3/4 C. coconut
1/2 C. dates (optional)
1/2 C. sunflower seeds (optional)
1/2 C. slivered almonds
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
Combine the above in a large bowl.
In a small bowl add:
1/3 C. oil--I used vegetable oil
1/4 c. frozen orange juice, thawed enough to pour
1/2 tsp. vanilla
Pour into large bowl. Stir into dry mixture. Bake on ungreased cookie sheet at 300 degrees for 30 minutes, stirring at 10-15 minute intervals. Cool on wax paper. After cooled, put into storage container.
This is great dry, with milk or yogurt.
Leftover mashed potatoes?? Our family loves these on a cold morning. It really fill and warms you up. This was my great-grandmother's recipe and I understand it is from Ireland. We've spiced it up a bit.
Potato Pancakes
For about 1 1/2 C. cold mashed potatoes, add:
1/2 C. flour
1 tsp. baking powder
onions, garlic powder and grated cheese (we like sharp cheddar) to taste
Add 1 beaten egg.
Fry skillet in 1/2 stick of butter until brown and crispy, flip and brown on the other side. Sometimes I need to add more butter.
Yes, I know there is butter and it is probably not the best for those who are watching certain things, but it is good ole fashioned eatin'.
If you are looking for more ideas on storing food and cutting costs, I invite you to check out Becky's Farm Life. She's amazing!
Trusting God together~
No comments:
Post a Comment