Ever since the campaigns began in earnest, which seems like years ago, my thoughts have wandered down the path of, "Is America going to fall like Rome?".
I remember things that grade school teachers and high school teachers told us. When I was in elementary school, Russians were the really bad guys. A neighbor even had a bomb shelter. Jets flew overhead on a regular basis, breaking the sound barrier. My folks did a great job hiding the outside world from us. I didn't know about the bomb shelter until we were exploring in the woods and stumbled on it. I didn't know much about the Cold War, until high school. Vietnam was bad, but I never really understood anything about what was going on. One day, while discussing how horrible the Great Depression was, our teacher said we need not worry, as long as the folks who lived during the Depression were still alive, they would make sure it never happened again. But, he warned, once they are gone, America will go through another Depression.
The "Greatest Generation" is all but gone. Those that remain were young during the Depression and don't seem to know how we got there. It now appears that we are on the brink of our next Depression.
It is now that I wish I could talk to my Grandmothers. How did they manage? What are tips for preparing that they would share? I want to soak it all in so I am prepared.
Our country seems so lost...in the biblical sense. Are we just getting what we deserve? Has God left us to our sins? We honor bad behavior, we scantily clad our daughters and our boys are not encouraged to be men. Anything goes and is OK unless you get caught, then just blame your upbringing. I found this article at Grove City College's Visions and Values site: http://www.visandvals.org/The_Threat_Within.php Dr. Hendrickson seems to say what I was thinking...or fearing.
God is in control. He knows what is going on. My grandparents gave me a godly heritage. I want to pass that on to my grandkids as well. Not a fearful one, but one that is confident in God and his love and care for me and that he always does things for my best.
"Help me not only to receive Him, but to walk in him, depend upon him, commune with him, be conformed to him, follow him, imperfect, but still pressing forward, not complaining of labour, but valuing rest, not murmuring under trials, but thankful for my state." excerpts from The Convicting Spirit from The Valley of Vision
No comments:
Post a Comment