Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Is This November??

What a wonderful, relaxing day. Lunch in the sunshine, bedclothes on the line, did devos in the sunshine, sat with my neighbor, Betty, in the sunshine...it's 68 degrees, some windows are open and it is just glorious!

Right now, I'm waiting for cookies to come out of the oven and I'm hanging out with Mozart. We will have potatoes from the garden tonight, and I'll make some Apple Crisp.

Keith and I will go vote when he gets home from work. I expected to be anxious about the election today, but I only listened a bit to the talk shows. That probably helps. Only God knows what tomorrow will bring, but He is faithful and controls everything...I'm having trouble spelling soveriegn, OK, and this thing doesn't have spell check, that I know of :-).

In my devos today in Tabletalk, I read an article about the gospel in Africa. There are brothers and sisters in Christ suffering over there. Limbs being cut off, just because they preach the good news. Churches are being burned, yet the faithful return, time after time to rebuild. And the church is growing. The author, Dr. Peter Hammond, said this, " Bad times are good for spiritual work." If we are headed for rough economic and spiritual times, this is good to remember. The church grows stronger in tough times. I need to be among those who are tough. Usually, I'm the one who runs from confrontation. There is a lesson from our African church family. That, for me, at least, Christ needs to be most important, not what men can do to me or threaten. I have a great deal of "growing up" to do.

Enjoy another beautiful fall evening!

"I make this sad confession. When my soul is happy and things prosper, I do not live so near to God as I do in the midst of trials and depression. When the world's bread is sugared and buttered, we eat it until we become sick. then the world changes our diet, filling our mouths with vinegar and making our drink bitter. The world's wells are full of sweet but poisonous water. We pitch our tents at the mouth of the well and drink until we forget the well of Bethlehem. When earth's waters become bitter like Marah's stream (Ex 15:23), we turn away sick and faint. But this affliction brings us to our God, just as the barking dog drives the wandering sheep to the shepherd's hand." C.H. Spurgeon

No comments: